Life was much simpler when we had one product that served the purposes of shampoo, conditioner, and body wash as a kid. But now, look at us, skimming through a list of ingredients, exploring options, and worrying about the harsh chemicals that do more harm than good to our beloved tresses. What went wrong?
Maybe the main problem is that we are after the most expensive, popular, and advertised shampoo rather than finding the one that actually suits us the best. Just like your personality, your hair type is unique, and it has specific needs, concerns, and capabilities.
Without knowing your scalp’s true character, you will never know what will make it happy. And, an unhappy scalp means unhappy hair. That said, if you really care about your hair and want to keep it at its healthiest state, learn about your scalp type first:
What is Your Scalp Type?
Ideally, shampoo is a product that we use as a scalp and hair cleanser. We expect it to remove impurities, excess oils, dirt buildup, and product residues from the scalp—without breaking and causing damage to the strands.
As it turned out, the job of the shampoo is more complex than that. A good shampoo should preserve natural oils, improve vitality, impart shine, protect from pollutants, enhance color, prevent hair loss, and more—if it suits your scalp type.
Your hair roots are seated deep within the scalp. The health and condition of the scalp play the leading role in the current look and feel of your hair. Let us help you identify your scalp type first:
- If your scalp feels tight, dry, or itchy after washing, you have a dry scalp.
- If your scalp feels greasy and there is visible shine even after the washing, and your roots are still clumped together, you have an oily scalp.
- And luckily, if your scalp is neither dry nor oily but has a normal oil balance, you have a combination or normal scalp.
The Right Shampoo for Oily Scalp
The reason behind excess oiliness on the scalp is the overproduction of sebum. Sebum, the skin’s natural oil, maintains the hair’s softness, smoothness, and sheen and moisturizes the scalp. Its profusion leads to clogged pores, flakiness, dandruff, and an unhealthy scalp. Shampoo for oily scalp must have the following traits:
- It should have strengthening, volumizing, and clarifying ingredients that remove impurities without drying out the scalp, like Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo. It features a perfect balance of gentle cleansers and moisturizers that leave your scalp feeling refreshingly clean and your hair rejuvenated. Also nice - it doesn’t contain paraben and sulfate.
The Right Shampoo for Dry Scalp
If you have a dry scalp, itchiness and flakiness are not your only concern. Your scalp will feel tight, uncomfortable, and irritated, and sometimes scratching the itch leads to inflammation and wounds. Dryness comes with a chain of painful problems that must be addressed right away, or it can create significant scalp conditions such as eczema and dermatitis.
Here is the kind of shampoo you must use for dry scalp:
- A moisturizing, smoothing, hydrating, and nourishing shampoo containing natural oils, proteins, and mild cleansers is the best option for a dry scalp. We recommend Argan Oil Shampoo that encourages moisture retention while soothing dryness and itchiness. It uses a unique merger of argan oil, castor oil, shea butter, keratin protein, and biotin to replenish the thirst dehydrated locks.
The Right Shampoo for Combination or Normal Scalp
A combination or normal scalp is the one that has just the right amount of natural oils. It doesn’t feel dry, flaky, or overly greasy. Your hair mostly looks shiny and vibrant, and your scalp feels healthy and strong. Yet, keep in mind that maintaining the scalp health and overall condition and appearance of hair is vital for you as well. The right kind of shampoo for a normal scalp is:
- Any shampoo with a refreshing and hydrating formula with a perfect balance of gentle cleansers and emollients should work for you. Try Peppermint Oil Shampoo that provides a thorough cleanse to your scalp while supporting sleek and smooth hair. It makes your hair more manageable and easier to style.
The Right Shampoo for Your Hair Type
- Fine Hair: A volumizing shampoo to promote thickness, body, and vigor of thin strands like Vegan Collagen Biotin Shampoo.
- Wavy Hair: Look for a shampoo with a well-balanced formula containing hydrating ingredients and gentle cleansers as Watermelon Shampoo.
- Curly Hair: You would want a moisturization-rich shampoo that tames frizz and imparts shine to dull and dry locks just as Biotin Shampoo does.
- Thick Hair: Only a shampoo that gives a thorough rinse to your scalp while maintaining the smoothness of thick strands can work for you. Try Tea Tree Shampoo.
- Straight Hair: Caviar Corrective Shampoo is enriched with nurturing and softening ingredients that preserve the sheen and sleekness of straight hair.
- Color-Treated Hair: Enhance the color, resilience, and strength of color-treated hair with Color Bloom Shampoo. This shampoo contains conditioning and smoothing ingredients that bring life back to dry and dull strands.
See, it wasn’t that difficult. At this point, you have all the required information and knowledge to pick the right shampoo for your hair type. Keep following our blog posts for more tips and benefits on skincare, haircare, and personal care.